Monday, February 22, 2010

WE MUST NEVER FORGET!


This morning I woke up to see my beautiful tea set sitting on a tea table that I just purchased in an antique store.


My heart was stirred with so many emotions, especially joy, to be able to display my tea set again. It is about the only thing materially that I have to remind me of my sweet brother who purchased it for me when he was in the Navy during Vietnam War. He was killed in a motorcycle wreck when he was only 41 years old. Today I thought of him when I saw the tea set, knowing that when he was 18 years old, that he thought enough of me to buy me this set and mail it to me when he was in the Phillipines. It is the only tea set I have and I cherish it. I keep it in my bedroom since I love pink roses and my bedroom is decorated in pink roses.


I want so much for this teaset to be passed down to my granddaughter, Kara when I pass away. She and I had spent so much time together having tea parties when she was a little girl. She doesn’t really like tea, but maybe the set will give her feelings of joy when she is old one day, like it does for me.


Hurricane Ike had distroyed my beautiful chocolate cabinet that the tea set was displayed in during the storm. A tree fell right on top of the house crushing the cabinet. I just knew everything was lost! It wasn’t until days later that I discovered the tea set was still ok, with only a tiny chip on one saucer. That was just an absolute miracle from God because most of the set was sitting on top of the cabinet instead of inside the glass doors. God in His mercy, spared it and I am so thankful! The cabinet was almost crushed flat, yet the teaset was spared! How could that be? Only God knows.


Our home was destroyed beyond what we could repair, so we purchased another one after 11 months of living with children, and now 1 1/2 years later, I am finally able to get a tea table to display my teaset on. The table is definately not as beautiful as my chocolate cabinet was, but the beauty of the tea set makes up for my loss.


When I pulled the tea set out of a cedar chest that I had it stored in until I could display it, I cried. It took me awhile to clean it up, and I shed lots of tears during that time just thinking about the past and the goodness of God in my life. God was so good to me!


I have seen lots of miracles in my family in my life, so I know the good things God can do in healing and all, but to see a fragile tea set still be like new after the powerful blow of a huge tree falling on top of it during a hurricane, just amazes me!


I am glad the tiny chip is on the saucer because I want it to be a reminder to my granddaughter of what our loving, caring Father in heaven will do for us even with the less important things in our life.


I hope she will tell this story to my great grandchildren one day as she tells the miracle of her foot being spared when she shows them the scar on her foot. Why does God leave scars and chips on things He has healed, protected, and restored? Because He wants us never to forget!


We must not forget who God is and what He has done in our life, even if they seem like small unimportant things to others!


No comments:

Post a Comment